CIAC sponsoring Ontario Chamber of Commerce AGM in Sarnia
April 20, 2017
The Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) and the Canadian Fuels Association are co-sponsoring the upcoming Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC)1 Annual General Meeting in Sarnia, May 4-7.
At the meeting, CIAC and the Canadian Fuels will host a panel discussion to highlight each sector’s importance to Sarnia and the Ontario economy.
“Co-sponsoring the AGM is a natural fit for CIAC as Sarnia-Lambton is the primary cluster for our respective members and OCC’s core mandate is to support economic growth in Ontario by defending business priorities at Queen’s Park,” said Don Fusco, Director, Government and Stakeholder Relations – Ontario, who will represent the Association at the meeting.
The leaders of the three Ontario parties are expected to be in attendance, which will provide an opportunity for CIAC to advocate for its members. CIAC advocacy message will focus on:
- The chemistry industry’s global investment activity and opportunities in the province
- The need to balance environmental regulations and economic development objectives
- Taxation measures that could support industry growth
- Modernize Ontario’s regulatory system to reduce compliance costs and eliminate duplication Maintain the integrity of industrial lands
- Industrial electricity programs that incent new production and facility expansions here in Ontario Key programs including Responsible Care®, the Community Awareness and Emergency Response (CAER), and The Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response initiative (TRANSCAER®).
Chamber members from across the province will also attend, providing networking opportunities and a chance to debate policy issues.
1 The OCC is a grassroots organization aimed at developing policy and advocating for the Ontario business community; the AGM will allow business leaders to help shape the OCC’s advocacy agenda for the next year.