Alberta Innovates calls for plastics circular economy projects
September 29, 2022
Alberta Innovates is aiming to help create a circular economy for plastics in Alberta and has an open call for proposals under its Bioenergy and Circular Economy portfolio.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- Products reuse, refurbishment, and remanufacturing: any technologies contributing to longer life for plastics products and keeping them in the economy.
- Sustainable plastics materials: using alternative materials to produce plastics with lower environmental footprint such as bio-based plastics and composites.
- Recycling technologies: open-loop and closed-loop recycling technologies such as mechanical and chemical recycling, and their integration into petrochemical and chemical industries.
- Design for circularity: improving design throughout the plastics life cycle to improve recyclability.
- Enabling technologies: non-conversion technologies contributing to lifecycle benefits:
- Digitalization: digital technologies for improved tracking, automation, robotics.
- Waste management practices: enhanced sorting, feedstock pre-processing.
- Knowledge generation: feasibility studies, feedstocks assessment.
Any products fully or partially containing plastics resins are eligible for this funding. Learn more.