CIAC has just released the Industrial Chemical Industry Performance Snapshot for the first quarter of 2017. Some highlights include:
- Shipments increased 13% compared to Q1 in 2016 driven by strong growth in petrochemicals, but all sub-segments showed increases.
- The quarter-over-quarter change in rail car shipments was up slightly (0.3%).
- Exports for industrial chemicals rose 1%. There were large differences among the sub-segments however.
- Industrial chemical industry GDP fell by 0.5% compared to Q4 of 2016.
- Operating profits remained strong, coming in at $854 million.